Sunday, October 21, 2012

The finish line...

I (Chris) wanted to tell you myself the results of my recent PET scan. Unfortunately I received chemo the same day I received the results and I have been having a hard time bouncing back this past week.  My cancer is gone.  I have some scar tissue and that is all that remains from the previously cancerous lymph nodes.  My doctor told me this is normal and over time the scar tissue will resolve.  To be sure this is great news, but I really want to be done with chemo.  I will have three more treatments, with the last on November 27th. The end is near!

I am doing ok.  I am happy about my diagnosis, but I still struggle with being sick and what I consider being a 'part time' dad.  It has been an amazing season.  Not exactly a sabbatical, but the Lord has been gracious simply in the time to stop and be still.  At the beginning I had expectations of a radical and complete change in who I am and how I do life, you know, go 'full on Denton.'  Again, the Lord is good and has shown me that I have a lot of issues to face- sanctification can be a long process, and He is giving me some time to work on them.


I (Andra) want to share the family side of Chris' good news.  As you can tell from Chris' words above, he is sooooo ready to be done with this whole process.  He struggles with the limitations that the cancer has placed on him and wants so badly to be 'back in the race.' We try to encourage him as best we can that getting better is the most important thing- not mowing the grass or helping with homework.

I would say after having a week of heard the words 'cancer free,' that we are still in shock and a little numb- so if you see us and we seem less than exuberant, just know that we are adjusting to the news. Since we still have several chemo treatments left, it doesn't quite seen over.  Unfortunately, radiation is still a possibility that we may need to face- please pray for us about that.

Thank you. Thank you for all the things you have said, things you have done and things yet to be done for our family.  We truly could not have functioned as well as we have without you. Five months of help is nothing to sneeze at!  God has shown us so clearly through all of this, how loved we are by you.  We look forward to many joyful conversations and meals to come with you all! Yea!!

2 comments:

Greg said...

YAY!!!

Bockman Happenings said...

So glad to hear this news, and know that we'll continue to pray!