Sunday, August 24, 2008

A "minor" meeting...


Last week, I asked Jacob's new vice-principal Mrs. Brown, if I could come take pictures of the school and make a little 'This is my school' album to help orient Jake to Kindergarten. She agreed and we chatted a little about him while we toured the school. All the teachers that were there let me take a photo and get a look at the rooms. She said she would like to meet again before school so we could meet some of the other staff and do a 'mini-ARD'. ARD's are school meetings for kids with special needs where staff and parents discuss goals, plans, etc. So, Thursday morning our entire family traipsed down to Hawk Elementary and were met in the conference room by: the Vice Principal, Diagnostician, Speech Therapist, Inclusion teacher, Inclusion paraprofessional, Psychologist, and his new Kindergarten teacher. This was a little overwhelming. We discovered that Jacob has not undergone a true Autism Evaluation (we suspected but weren't sure) but will by the first 6 weeks, and that he will be getting some pretty amazing services. I felt like we overwhelmed his Kinder teacher, but everyone else seem very excited about working with Jacob. I wouldnt call myself an anxious person, but I couldn't sleep very well last week and I think I have been dealing with the entire situation by ignoring/not thinking much about it. I've been praying about it all, but this is really a 'I dont have one iota of control' type situation and I'm not sure how these all go down. All I do know is that all of the staff we met were so professional and kind to us and to Jacob. You can't ask for much more than that.

No comments: